Blend beginning consonant or consonant blend with -up to make words such as pup, cup, and up.
- Two puppy graphics
- Two straws or pencils
- Two paper cups
- Beginning consonant block
- -up word-ending block
The children will play with pups and cups and practice blending beginning sounds with -up words to spell new words such as pup, cup, and up.
Pop the pup up in the cup
- Punch a small hole in the bottom of each paper cup and place a straw though each hole.
- Label one cup real cup and the other made up cup.
- Attach the puppy graphics to each straw so they can slide up and out of the cup.
- Assemble the consonant block and the -up block.
- Explain to the children that they will take turns rolling blocks to make -up words.
- Choose a child to roll both blocks, put the beginning consonant next to the -up ending, read it, and decide whether the word is real or made up.
- If the word is real, have the child choose the real cup, and push the pup up out of the cup while the other children say, "Up, pup! Out of the cup!"
- If the word is made up, they will do the same with the made up cup.
- Each time the blocks make a real word, have the children write the word down on a piece of paper.
- Repeat the activity with different children.
Clap out sounds in words
- Have the children take apart the word cup and clap once for each sound in the word (/c/ /u/ /p/).
- Ask the children how many times they clapped for the word cup.
- Clap for each sound in the word cup again to reinforce the model.
- Repeat with other -up words (e.g., pup, up).
SEEL At Home
Blend a beginning consonant or consonant blend with -up to make words such as pup and cup.
- Two pup graphics
- Beginning consonant and -up blocks
- Two plastic or paper cup
- Two straws or pencils
Activity: Pup Cup
- Make holes in the bottom of each cup and write real cup on one and made up cup on the other.
- Attach a pup graphic to the top of each straw or pencil, and feed it through the hole in each cup.
- Write real words at the top of a half piece of paper and made up words on the other half.
- Assemble the beginning consonant block and -up ending block.
- With your child, take turns rolling the blocks and put the two blocks together to make a word.
- If the word is real, take the real cup and push the pup up out of the cup while saying together, "Up, pup! Up for the word ___!"
- If the word is not real, do the same thing with the made up -up cup.
- Write each word in its matching column on the piece of paper.
- Read the words in the two lists and have your child circle the -up word ending in each word.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.