get to the word factory
Practice reading and analyzing vowels within words and identifying words as opposed to non-words.
- Page of game board shapes*
- Four envelopes
- Picture of Mother Alphabet*
- Picture of the word factory*
- Paper die*
- Choose the Correct Vowel cards*
- Count the Vowel cards*
- Word and Non-word cards*
- Action cards*
*Items included below.
The children will play a game to help Mother Alphabet get to the word factory as they practice identifying vowels and real words versus non-words.
Get to the Word Factory game
- Prepare the game.
- Print and cut out six copies of the game board shapes (found below) and arrange them on the floor in a U-shape, with the factory at the top of the right side.
- Print the die block (found below) on a sheet of cardstock and follow the instructions on it to form it.
- Cut out the picture of Mother Alphabet (found below), then fold and tape as marked.
- Draw a star on the first envelope and insert the Choose the Correct Vowel cards (found below).
- Draw a circle on the second envelope and insert the Word and Non-word cards (found below).
- Draw a heart on the third envelope and insert the Count the Vowel cards (found below).
- Draw a sun on the last envelope and insert the action cards (found below).
- Place the Mother Alphabet game piece at the top left of the game board and have the children sit in a circle around the board.
- Choose a child to roll the die and move Mother Alphabet down the left side of the U-shape.
- If a shape is rolled, have the child advance to the nearest space with the matching shape.
- If +1 is rolled, have the child move one space forward.
- If -1 is rolled, have the child move back one space.
- Have the child pick a card from the envelope corresponding to the space he or she lands on:
- Star: Have the child choose a vowel to fill in the blank and complete the word.
- Circle: Have the child read and answer the question on the card.
- Heart : Have the child distinguish between the real word (has a vowel) and the non-word (no vowel).
- Sun: Have the child read the card aloud, point out the vowel in the word on the card, and then lead the other children in doing the action.
- Once Mother Alphabet reaches the word factory, have the children sing Mother Alphabet’s favorite song, the ABC song.
Write about the game
- Help the children make a list of words that they learned in the game (referring to the game cards as needed), underline the vowel(s) in each word, and read the words aloud.
- Encourage the children to write short sentences using words from the list and allow them to illustrate the sentences.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.D: Distinguish between similarly spelled words by identifying the sounds of the letters that differ.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.C: Blend and segment onsets and rimes of single-syllable spoken words.
Get to the Word Factory