The Nap Stack
- Word cards*
- Word-building cards*
- Picture cards*
- Nap Stack target text*
- Book: The Napping House by Audrey Wood, 1984 (optional)
*Items included below.
State the Objective
Tell the children that they will act out a story about napping pets and that they will read and write short-vowel words, such as dog, cat, mom, kid, bug, and rat.
Introduce target words
- Show the children the short-vowel target words.
- Read the words with the children.
Make a stack
- Read the Nap Stack target text (see below) with the children.
- Read The Napping House, by Audrey Wood, to the children (optional).
- Have the children read the short-vowel word cards (see below).
- Tape the picture cards (see below) to blocks.
- Let the children stack the blocks on top of each other.
- Have the children take turns reading the words on the picture cards as they take the blocks off the stack.
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word-building cards (see below), have the children make new words by changing a consonant or the vowel.
- Change the beginning consonant(s): bed→ fed; bug→ dug; dog→ log
- Change the vowel: cat→ cut; bug→ bag; dog→ dig
- Change the ending consonant: mom→ mop; dog→ dot; bug→ but
Identify vowel sounds
- Say short-vowel target words (e.g., dog, cat, mom, kid, bug, rat), stretching out your arms and lengthening the vowel (e.g., Dog. d-oooo-g. Dog.).
- Ask the children what vowel they hear.
- Have the children identify the sounds in the words and write the words.
SEEL Target Texts
The mom gets in bed.
The kid gets on top of the mom.
The dog gets on top of the kid.
The cat gets on top of the dog.
The rat gets on top of the cat.
The mom, the kid, the dog, the cat, and the rat want to nap.
But, a bug bites the rat.
The rat jumps up and falls on the cat.
The cat jumps up and bumps the dog.
The dog jumps up and thumps the kid.
The kid jumps up and wakes the mom.
The mom jumps up and lands back on the bed.
Now no one is napping!
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
The Nap Stack