- Bottle and/or jar tops of various sizes
- Word-building cards*
- Make A Tower of Tops text*
- Tip Over the Tops text*
- Tip,Tap,Top text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will tip over tops by tapping them and will read and write words that end in -ip, -ap, and -op, such as tip, tap, and top.
Read target words in a text
- Help the children read the Make a Tower of Tops text (see below), fading support as appropriate.
- Have the children find the words that end in -ip, -ap, or -op.
- Repeat with the texts Tip Over a Tower of Tops and/or Tip, Tap, Top (see below).
Make a tower of tops
- Have the children make a tower of tops by stacking one top on top of another.
- Make comments such as, “A top on top and a top on a top” and “Tops on top of tops.”
Tap the tops to tip over the tops
- Let the children tap the tower of tops.
- Make comments such as “tap the tops on the top,” “tap the tops to tip the tops over” and “Tops topple on tops. Topple over tops.”
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word-building cards (see below), have the children make new words by changing the vowel in each word:
- top → tip, tip →tap, map → mop, lip → lap, cap → cop, flip → flop, sap → sip, drip → drop, rap → rip
SEEL Target Texts
Make a Tower of Tops
Put a top on top of a top.
Put a top on top of another top.
Top a top with a top.
Top that top with a top.
Tops on top of tops.
Will the tower of tops tip over?
Tap the tops and the tops will tip over.
Tip Over the Tops
Keep putting tops on top of tops.
Put tops on top of tops to make a tower.
Take a top out of the tower.
Or tap on the tower with a top.
The tower of tops will tip over!
Tip, Tap, Top
And put a top on a top.
And put a top on top of a top.
Tops on top of tops!
Lots of tops on top of tops.
A tower of tops!
Tap a top.
The tops will tip.
The tops will tip over.
Tip over the tops.
Tip, tap, top.
Top, tip, tap,
Tap, top, tip.
Tip, Tap, Top