Make a Fan
- Plan to Make a Fan story
- Word cards
The children will follow a plan to make a fan while they read and write words with -an ending to make words such as can, fan, man, and ran.
Make a fan
- Have children run in place with you, then comment that you need a fan because you feel hot.
- Read the Plan to Make a Fan story to the group.
- Help children make their own fan as you instruct them from the plan in the story.
Fan -an word cards
- Have the children choose a word card, read it aloud, and then sit at one end of a table.
- Help the children fold the word card in half so that it can stand up alone.
- Let the children use a fan to blow the word card across the table.
- Repeat until all of the -an words have been used.
- Help the children make a list of the words from the game.
- Emphasize blending beginning sounds with the -an ending to spell each word (e.g., f + an = fan).
Read target words in a text
- Read the text Plan to Make a Fan story together as a class/group.
- Have the children underline the words that end in -an.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Have the children help you make a list of all of the -an words in the text. Emphasize the process of blending beginning sounds with the -an ending to spell each word (e.g., f + an = fan).
Write about the activity using target words
- Display target words on a word wall
- Refer the children to the word wall and have them write a sentence or two expressing ideas from a lesson activity or target text (e.g., I had a plan to make a fan).
SEEL Target Texts
Plan to Make a Fan
I ran and ran and ran.
I need a fan!
I want to make a fan, but I need a plan.
I can get in my tan van.
I can go in my tan van to find a plan for a fan.
I can find a man with a plan to make a fan.
I can ask the man to share his plan, so I can make a fan.
1. Get paper.
2. Fold the paper over and under.
3. Pinch the fan at the bottom.
4. Staple the fan at the bottom.
5. Spread out the top of the fan.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Make a Fan