The Tan Can
- Can (painted tan or covered with tan paper, write the –an ending on the outside)
- Graphics or objects
- Word blending cards
- The Tan Can target text (written on chart paper or whiteboard)
- The Tan Can missing letters text
- Whiteboards and markers or paper and pencils
The children will play a game with a can as they read and write words that end in –an such as man, can, ran, and fan.
In the tan can
- Hold up the pictures or items and ask the children, “Can a ____ go in the tan can?”
- Have the children respond, “Yes, a _an can go in the tan can,” while putting the item in the can or, “No, a ____ can’t go in the tan can,” while setting the item aside.
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word blending cards, have the children make new words by changing either of the consonants or the vowel:
- man → pan; tan → ran; can → fan
- fan → fun; tan → ten; man → men
- man → mat; tan → tap; can → car
Read target words in a text
- Display the text to The Tan Can.
- Read the text together as a group.
- Read again, fading support.
- Allow the children to underline the –an words present in the text.
Write target words
- Give each child a copy of The Tan Can with missing letters target text.
- Have the children fill in the –an ending for the words in The Tan Can missing letters text.
- Support the children as they write the missing letters.
SEEL Target Texts
The Tan Can
The tan can is empty.
What can go in the tan can?
A fan can go in the tan can.
A pan can go in the tan can.
A van can go in the tan can.
Can a man go in the tan can?
The Tan Can (with missing letters)
The t__ c__ is empty.
What c__ go in the t__ c__?
A f__ c__ go in the t__ c__.
A p__ c__ go in the t__ c__.
A v__ c__ go in the t__ c__.
C__ a m__ go in the t__ c__?
SEEL At Home
Read and write words ending with -an (e.g., can, man, pan).
- Picture cards
- 2 pieces of tan paper
- Tape, scissors, jar or cup
Activity: The Tan Can
- Cover the outside of a jar or cup with tan paper and label it Tan Can.
- Choose a picture and ask your child, "Can a ___ go in the tan can?"
- Direct him or her to respond, "Yes, a _an can go in the tan can!" and put the item in the tan can if the item ends with -an. If the item does not end with -an, direct him or her to set the item aside and respond, "No, a ___ can't go in the tan can!"
- Help your child write the title Tan Can and a list of all the -an things inside the can. Your child could also draw pictures to illustrate what's inside the tan can if desired.
- Send the can paper to school with your child to share with a teacher and a friend.
- The activity can be repeated several times.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
The Tan Can