Dig Dig Dig
- Small shovel or large spoon
- Picture cards
- Plastic container filled with rice, shredded paper, or packing peanuts
- Word blending cards
The children will dig for pictures as they read and write words ending in –ig such as twig, pig, wig, and fig.
- Display large picture/word cards and discuss what each is.
- Choose a child to dig for something with the shovel or spoon and have him or her say to the class “I want to dig for a ___.”
- As the child digs for that item have the class chant “Dig, dig, dig for a ___!”
- When the child finds a picture/word card, have him or her show it to the class and decide if the correct picture/word card was found.
- If the correct card was found, put the picture/word card back into the container and choose another child to dig for something.
- If the card was not correct, have the child dig again until the correct card is found.
- Repeat the activity as desired.
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word blending cards, have the children make new words by changing either of the consonants or the vowel:
- pig → wig; big → dig; fig → jig
- big → beg; wig → wag; jig → jog
- dig → dip; big → bit; pig → pin
Write target words
- As a group, make a list of words ending in –ig on the board.
- Have each child write their own sentences: I can dig. Dig for a __ig. Encourage them to look at the list of words on the board for help.
SEEL At Home
Read and write words ending in -ig.
- Picture/word cards
- Container filled with rice/pasta/cotton balls
Activity: Dig, Dig, Dig
- Identify the picture cards together and put the cards in the container with rice/pasta/cotton balls.
- Take turns choosing which of the pictures you would like to dig for.
- Before you begin digging say, "I want to dig for a ____."
- Dig with the spoon for the picture.
- As you dig chant, "Dig, dig, dig for a ____!"
- After you find the picture, show it to the other person and put it back in the container.
- Write a short story with your child about going on an adventure to dig and find the different -ig objects.
- Read the short story together.
- Have your child read each word, support where needed.
- The activity can be repeated several times.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Dig Dig Dig