Rip Strip Pizza
Read and write words ending in –ip.
- Red squares of paper, labeled “sauce”—1 per child
- Green, yellow, and orange construction paper
- Brown, white, tan, or yellow paper circles to be pizza dough—1 per child
- Word blending cards (see below)
- Whiteboard and marker
State and model the objective
Tell the children that today they will rip strips of paper to make a pizza while they read and write words ending in –ip: rip, strip, flip, snip.
Practice the skill within an activity
Rip strip pizza
- Give each child a paper pizza dough; a paper sauce packet; and green, yellow, and orange paper.
- Give instructions for making the pizza and have the children repeat the instructions as they do them.
- Flip the pizza dough.
- Clip and snip the tip of the sauce packet.
- Tip and drip the sauce.
- Rip strips of pepper (green paper).
- Rip strips of cheese (yellow and orange paper).
- Glue the drips of sauce and strips of peppers and cheese to the dough to complete the pizza.
- When the pizzas are done, have the children say, “I can make a pizza flip,” as they toss their pizzas into the air to flip them.
Apply the skill
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word blending cards (see below), have the children make new words by changing either of the consonants or the vowel:
- ship → trip; drip → flip; dip → tip
- tip → top; trip → trap; drip → drop
- dip → dim; tip → tin; ship → shin
Read and write target words
- Have the children help you write instructions for making a Rip Strip Pizza.
- Write the instructions on the board and choral read them as a class, emphasizing the –ip words.
- Have one child at a time come up to the board and underline the words ending in –ip. Repeat until all –ip words have been underlined.
SEEL At Home
Read and write words ending in -ip.
- Brown paper circle
- Red paper square
- Orange, yellow, and green paper
- Rip Strip Pizza Instructions (see below)
Activity: Rip Strip Pizza
- Read the instructions for making Rip Strip Pizza together with your child. Help your child read each word that ends with -ip.
- Do each step after you read it and make a Rip Strip Pizza together. Emphasize the -ip action words as you do them (e.g.; Drip, drip, drip the sauce. Rip, rip, rip the strip.).
- Have your child glue the pizza ingredients to the paper circle as he or she puts them on.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.B: Associate the long and short sounds with the common spellings (graphemes) for the five major vowels.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.D: Isolate and pronounce the initial, medial vowel, and final sounds (phonemes) in three-phoneme (consonant-vowel-consonant, or CVC) words. (This does not include CVCs ending with /l/, /r/, or /x/.)
Rip Strip Pizza