rip a strip of pizza
Read and write words that end in -ip.
- Tan paper circles
- A small amount of red paint, ketchup packets, or red paper
- Small ziplock bag (if using the red paint)
- Red, green, and yellow or orange construction paper
- Word-building cards*
- Rip Strip Pizza Recipe*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will flip paper dough and rip strips of toppings to make a pizza and will read and write words ending in -ip, such as rip, strip, flip, and snip.
Rip and drip to make a pizza
- Give the tan paper circles to children in small groups and have them flip the circle like it is pizza dough.
- Put sauce on the paper pizza dough:
- Give the children the red paint in a bag or the ketchup packets to rip, snip, clip, or zip open, and tell them to pretend that it is pizza sauce.
- Tip the sauce packet or bag and drip the sauce in a bowl.
- Let the children use a fork to whip the sauce with or without a little water.
- Ask the children to take turns dripping a little sauce on their pizza dough OR let the children rip or snip red paper as sauce for their pizza.
- Rip and snip strips of cheese and toppings:
- Have the children rip, snip, or clip strips of green or orange paper onto a plate and pretend that they are toppings.
- Let the children rip, snip, or clip yellow paper onto a plate and pretend that it is cheese.
- Slip the strips of toppings and cheese from the plate onto the pizza dough.
- Rip strips of pizza:
- When the sauce is dry, snip or rip the pizza into strips.
- Slip strips of pizza onto a plate.
Read about making pizza
- Read the Rip Strip Pizza Recipe (see below) with the children.
- Let the children find the -ip words in the text.
- Have the children help make a list of the -ip words and read the list together.
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
With word-building cards, have the children make new words by changing either the beginning or ending consonant(s) or the vowel:
- Change the beginning consonant(s): strip→ trip; dip→ drip; lip→ flip; rip→ trip; strip→ rip.
- Change the vowel: tip→ top; trip→ trap; drip→ drop; snip→ snap.
- Change the ending consonant(s): dip→ dim; tip→ tin; trip→ trim.
Read and write target words
- Read the Make Pizza with -ip Words target text (see below) with the children.
- Display a word wall with -ip words.
- Help the children write instructions for making a Rip Strip Pizza while looking at the word wall.
SEEL Target Texts
Rip Strip Pizza Recipe
Make Pizza with -ip Words
Flip. Flip. Flip
Clip and snip a sauce packet.
Clip and snip.
Tip and drip the sauce.
Tip and drip.
Rip or snip strips of cheese
Rip or snip.
Rip or clip strips of pepper.
Rip or snip.
Slip the strips of toppings and cheese onto the pizza.
Rip or clip the pizza into strips.
Slip a strip of pizza onto a plate.
Slip a strip of pizza into your mouth.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.B: Associate the long and short sounds with the common spellings (graphemes) for the five major vowels.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.D: Isolate and pronounce the initial, medial vowel, and final sounds (phonemes) in three-phoneme (consonant-vowel-consonant, or CVC) words. (This does not include CVCs ending with /l/, /r/, or /x/.)
Rip a Strip of Pizza