Skip to the Ship
- Ship graphics or toy ships
- Instructions to fold a paper ship
- Bowl or container of water
- Word cards
- What a Ship Can Do target text
- Take a Pretend Ship Trip target text
The children will play with ships as they read and write words that end with -ip such as ship, skip, zip, drip, dip, and tip.
Place -ip words on a paper ship
- Give the children a ship [e.g., a toy ship, ship graphic, or a folded paper ship.
- Ask the children to write the word 'ship' on the paper ship (or on tape on the toy ship).
- Have the children take turns choosing a word card.
- Help the children read the word on the card then have them place the word card on the ship.
Skip a ship
- Help the children read the word on each word card.
- Allow the children to act out each word using a ship (e.g., folded paper ship, ship picture, toy ship) and a bowl of water:
- tip (tip the ship one way and then the other)
- zip (move the ship very quickly)
- skip (bump the ship up and down like it's skipping on water)
- flip (flip the ship up into the air)
- dip (dip the ship into the bowl of water)
- drip (let water drip off of the ship into the bowl of water)
Read target words in a text
- Read the What a Ship Can Do target text together with the children.
- Have the children underline the words from the text that end with -ip.
- Read the text again, fading support.
- Repeat with the Take a Pretend Ship Trip target text.
Write target words
- Have children identify the beginning, middle and ending sounds of words by tapping their shoulder (beginning), elbow (middle) and fingers (end) (e.g. lip = /l/ tap shoulder, /i/ tap elbow, /p/ tap fingers.
- ship = /sh/ /i/ /p/
- dip = /d /i/ /p/
- rip = /r/ /i/ /p/
- tip = /t/ /i/ /p/
- Have the children write each word on a piece of paper.
- Allow the children to fold their paper into a ship (optional).
SEEL Target Texts
Take a Pretend Ship Trip
Skip to the ship.
Zip goes the ship!
Slip on the ship.
Skip on the ship.
What a fun trip.
What a Ship Can Do
It can tip.
It can zip.
It can skip.
It can skip along the water.
It can flip.
It can dip.
It can dip down into the water.
It can drip.
A ship can do lots of things.
SEEL At Home
Read and write words that end with -ip.
- Paper ship and word cards
- Bowl of water
Activity: Ship Trip
- Help your child label the paper ship by writing ship.
- Take turns choosing a word card and reading it.
- Help your child perform the action indicated by each word card using the paper ship and the bowl of water:
- tip (e.g., tip the ship one way and then the other);
- zip (e.g., move the ship very quickly)
- skip (e.g., bump the ship up and down like it?s skipping on water)
- flip (e.g., flip the ship up into the air)
- dip (e.g., dip the ship into the bowl of water)
- drip (e.g., let water drip off of the ship into the bowl of water);
- Help your child make a list of the -ip words from the activity.
- The activity can be repeated several times.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Skip to the Ship