plop and flip flop an egg
Read and write words with different short-vowel sounds.
- drip, slip, flip, trip, grip, skip, trip, lid, mix
- drop, slop, flop, stop, plop, mop, pop, pot, not, job
- Picture of a paper egg white and yolk*
- Spatula template*
- A pan or paper plates
- Small amount of water
- Plastic egg that can open
- Flip and Flop an Egg target text*
- Serve the Egg target text*
- Plop, Flop, and Chop to Make an Egg target text*
- Empty egg carton (optional)
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will pretend to flip, plop, drip, and mop up an egg while reading short vowel words.
Demonstrate making an egg
- Fill the plastic egg with a small amount of water or the picture of the egg white and yolk (found below).
- Pretend to make an egg while commenting on your actions.
|Crack the egg so it pops open.||Pop open the egg.|
|Plop and drop the egg's water in the pan.||Plop and drop the egg.|
|Pretend to flip it over.||Flip-flop the egg.|
|Slop (spill) the egg (water or picture of the egg).||Oops! A slop! I was sloppy! I slopped some egg.|
|Flop and plop the egg onto a plate.||Flip-flop and plop!|
|Spill some water (or the picture of the egg).||Oops! Oops, another slop! Slopped egg.|
|Pretend to mop up the egg.||Mop up the egg.|
|Pretend to eat the egg.||Yum!|
Read about making an egg
- Display the Flip, Flop the Egg target text (found below) for everyone to see.
- Read the story to the class and with the class, fading support.
- Repeat with Cook an Egg (found below).
Engage the children in cooking an egg
Let the children . . .
- crack and pop open the plastic egg (filled with water or the paper egg white and yolk).
- plop and drop the egg in a pretend pot.
- use a spatula to flip and flop the egg in the pot.
- flop and plop the eggs onto a plate.
- slop (spill) some egg.
- mop up the slop.
Serve an egg
- Read the Serve the Egg target text (found below) with the children.
- Enact serving the egg in the following way:
- Tip the pot to let the egg slip out.
- Plop and drop the egg (onto a plate).
- Drip and drop a little egg.
- Chop up toppings (cheese, tomato).
- Top the egg with some topping
- Top the egg with ketchup.
- Offer the egg to others.
- Mop up drips and drops that slopped.
SEEL Target Texts
Flip and Flop an Egg
Serve the Egg
Plop, Flop, and Chop to Make an Egg
Cook an Egg
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.B: Associate the long and short sounds with the common spellings (graphemes) for the five major vowels.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.D: Isolate and pronounce the initial, medial vowel, and final sounds (phonemes) in three-phoneme (consonant-vowel-consonant, or CVC) words. (This does not include CVCs ending with /l/, /r/, or /x/.)
Plop and Flip Flop an Egg