Read and write short vowel words, such as smash, bash, trash, and splash.
- Small paper cups
- Large trash bag or trash can
- Splash Trash target text*
- Smash the Trash target text*
- Word blending cards*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will smash and bash trash, and that they will read and write about smashing, splashing, and bashing trash.
Dash around to smash trash
- Display words that end in ash and read them with the children: bash, smash, crash, dash, trash, stash, clash, and splash.
- Scatter trash (e.g., egg cartons, cardboard boxes, crumpled paper) and let the children dash around to smash and stash the trash in the trash.
- Read the target text chant Smash the Trash (found below) to and with the children.
Smash trash and make a splash
- Pour a small amount of water in paper cups and place them on a tray.
- Let the children take a sip and make a splash as they smash their cup over the trash to stash it in the trash.
- Have the children crash and bash two cups together to make a splash and say, “Crash and bash to splash.”
- Let the children smash their paper cups, stash them in the trash, and chant, "Smash! Smash! Smash the trash!"
- Read the text Splash Trash to and with the children, fading support.
Blend word parts
- Place out the cards with initial consonant/s with ash and ish endings.
- Let the children push together the initial consonant/s and the ash or ish endings to make whole words
- c + ash = cash
- s + ash = sash
- m + ash = mash
- d + ash = dash
- tr + ash = trash
- spl + ash = splash
- d + ish = dish
- spl + ish = splish
- f + ish = fish
SEEL Target Texts
Smash the Trash
Smash the trash in the trash.
Bash, bash, bash the trash.
Bash the trash in the trash.
Stash, stash, stash the trash.
Stash the trash in the trash.
Smash, bash, and stash the trash.
Smash the trash.
Smash! Smash! Smash!
The water goes splash.
Bash! Bash! Crash! Crash!
Bash the trash.
Bash the trash and make a splash!
Splash! Splash! Splash!
Bash, smash, stash, crash, and slash the trash!
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A (http://www.corestandards.org/ELA-Literacy/RF/K/2/a/): Recognize and produce rhyming words.