- Pens that click
- Click ‘Til I Say Quit text*
- I’ll Click ‘Til You Say Quit text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children you will be playing a pen-clicking game and making words with the short-i vowel, such as click or quit.
Click til I say quit
- Engage children in shared reading of the Click 'Til I Say Quit text (see below).
- Show the children the pens and demonstrate how they click.
- Invite the children to click the pens at the appropriate time.
- Tell the children to click quickly when they hear the word quick and to quit when they hear the word quit.
- Repeat the phrase “Click, Click, Click . . . Quit!”
I’ll click til you say quit
- Engage children in shared reading of I’ll Click 'Til You Say Quit (see below).
- Ask a volunteer to say, “Click, Click, Click . . . Quit!” to let you know when to click and when to quit.
Write target words and patterns
- Engage children in interactive writing about their experience by generating sentence frames and letting the children fill in the blanks.
- We can make pens __________(click).
- We stop clicking when someone says __________(quit).
- We click very fast when someone says __________(quick).
- Have children pick a letter card (see below) and add -ick or -it as the ending to make a word.
SEEL Target Texts
Click 'Til I Say Quit
The pens can click.
Pick a pen and make it click.
Click the pen until I tell you to quit.
I’ll Click 'Til You Say Quit
I can click.
I get to click until you tell me to quit!
You get to tell me when to quit.
Click or Quit Clicking