Kit to Knit
- Wooden craft sticks
- Cardboard roll
- Word-building cards*
- Word cards*
- Knit with a Kit target text*
*Items included below.
State the Objective
Tell the children that they will knit and that they will read and write short-i words, such as kit, bib, pig, knit, will, pick, and stick.
Introduce target words
- Show the children the short-i target words.
- Read the words with the children.
- Explain that the kn at the beginning of words like knit says /n/.
Learn how to knit
- Have a guest demonstrate knitting, show a video of someone knitting, or demonstrate spool knitting with a toilet paper roll and wooden craft sticks.
- Let the children try knitting.
- Have the children write a sentence about knitting using short-i words (e.g., I knit with sticks; I can knit with a kit; I will knit an outfit).
Read Knit with a Kit
- Read the Knit with a Kit target text (see below) with the children.
- Have the children read short-i word cards (see below).
- Have the children write short-i words from dictation (e.g., kit, bib, pig, knit, will, pick, stick).
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word-building cards (see below), have the children make new words by changing a consonant or the vowel.
- Change the beginning consonant(s): knit→ bit; kit→ lit; pick→ sick
- Change the vowel: pig→ peg; will→ wall; bib→ bit
- Change the ending consonant: big→ bit; sit→ sip; kit→ kid
SEEL Target Texts
Knit with a Kit
Some stores sell knitting kits.
They are big kits that help you knit.
The kit has yarn and two sticks.
The sticks are called needles.
You will use the sticks to knit.
You can learn how to knit!
Or you can knit with four popsicle sticks.
There are lots of ways to knit.
You can knit an outfit.
You can knit a big pig.
You can knit six bibs for a kid.
You can knit a thick rope.
First you pick a kit.
Then you read about how to knit.
Then you sit and try it for a bit.
Before you know it, you will be able to knit!
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Kit to Knit