Scrub the Cub
- Tub (e.g., bucket, food container, cardboard box)
- Sponges, scrub brush, or picture of a sponge*
- Stuffed bear, empty “honey bear” bottle, or picture of a bear* laminated or placed in plastic sleeve
- Letter cards*
- Scrub the Cub song*
- Chub the Cub text*
- Book: It’s a Bear by Jez Alborough or other book about a bear (optional)
- -ub activity on Hideout: Early Literacy (an app available for free on the app store, optional)
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will scrub a cub in a tub and will read and write words ending with -ub, such as cub, rub, tub, dub, and scrub.
Click here to view a video demonstration similar to this lesson.
Scrub the cub
- Put mud or dirt on a bear cub or scribble a plastic cub with brown dry-erase or washable marker.
- Introduce the cub named Chub, who needs a scrub in the tub.
- Teach the Scrub the Cub song (see below) as you scrub the cub.
- Invite children to scrub the cub while singing the first verse of the Scrub the Cub song.
- Let children rub the cub with a towel while everyone sings the second verse.
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- Let the children make a target word (e.g., cub) from letter cards and then let them make different words by changing either of the consonants or the vowel.
- Change the beginning sound: cub → rub; tub → hub; scrub → chub
- Change the vowel: cub → cob; rub → rib; cub → cab
- Change the ending sound: rub → run; cub → cut; hub → hut
Read target words in a text
- Have the children underline the words that end in -ub in the Chub the Cub text (see below).
- Have a child hide the cub under the tub.
- Help the children read the target text Chub the Cub.
- Have the children act out the text and find and scrub the cub.
- Read the text together again, fading support.
Write about the activity using target words and phrases
- Display target words and give the children a story starter (e.g., “We put Chub in the tub and then . . .”)
- Let them write about how they got to scrub a cub in a tub.
SEEL Target Texts
Scrub the Cub Song
Scrub him in the tub.
Scrub, scrub, scrub, scrub,
Scrub the little cub.
Rub and dry the cub.
Rub, rub, rub, rub,
Rub the little cub.
Chub the Cub
Chub is a grubby cub!
Chub needs a scrub in a tub.
Where is Chub, the cub?
Chub is under the tub!
Get in the tub, Chub!
Rub and scrub.
Rub and scrub the cub.
Chub is a clean cub!
SEEL At Home
Read and write words ending with -ub.
- Chub the Cub target text
- Stuffed bear cub
- Washcloth or sponge
- Scrub the Cub song
Activity: Scrub the Cub
- Read the Chub the Cub text with your child.
- Teach your child the Scrub the Cub song.
- With your child, pretend to scrub the cub in a tub as you sing the first verse of the song together.
- Let your child rub the cub dry with a towel while you both sing the second verse.
- Help your child write the words cub, rub, tub, and rub-a-dub-dub.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Scrub the Cub