Nut in a Hut
- Picture of a hut*
- Word cards*
- Word-building cards*
- Find a Nut song*
- The Nut Hut target text*
- Book: Nuts to You! by Lois Ehlert, 1993 (optional)
*Items included below.
State the Objective
Tell the children that they will look for nuts and that they will read and write words that end with ut, such as nut, hut, cut, but, and shut.
Introduce the target words
- Show the children the -ut target words.
- Read the words with the children.
Put nuts in a hut
- Read The Nut Hut target text (see below) with the children.
- Read the Nuts to You! book, by Lois Ehlert, with the children (optional).
- Hide the -ut word cards (see below) and let the children look for them while singing the Find a Nut song (see below), which can be sung to the tune of “Mary Had a Little Lamb.”
- Let the children take turns reading the word cards.
- If the word ends with ut, have the child put their word card in the paper hut (see below) while everyone says, “Put the ___ (e.g., cut, but, nut, shut) nut in the hut!”
- If the word does not end with ut, have the child shut the hut while everyone chants, “Shut the hut!”
Identify, blend, and manipulate sounds
- With word-building cards (see below), have the children make new words by changing a consonant or the vowel.
- Change the beginning consonant: nut→ hut; nut→ but; hut→ cut
- Change the vowel: but→ bat; hut→ hit; nut→ net
- Change the ending consonant: but→ bun; cut→ cup; nut→ nun
Write sentences using target words and phrases
- Let the children write short sentences using target words.
- We put a ____ (nut) in the ____ (hut).
- We ____ (shut) the ____ (hut).
- The squirrel likes to ____ (strut) into the ____ (hut).
- The squirrel ate a ____ (nut) inside his ____ (hut).
SEEL Target Texts
Find a Nut
The Nut Hut
There is a squirrel.
He likes to strut.
Strut, strut, strut.
He struts into the nut hut.
He finds a nut in the nut hut.
He tries to cut the nut in the nut hut.
He says, “Cut, cut, cut a nut.”
“I can cut! Cut a nut!”
“Cut, cut, cut a nut.”
“Cut a nut inside the hut.”
He eats the nut inside the hut.
He struts out of the hut.
He says, “Yum, yum nut.”
SEEL At Home
Read and write words that end with -ut.
- Find a Nut song
- Word cards
- Small hat to use as a hut
- Book: Nuts to You! by Lois Ehlert (optional)
Activity: Nut Hut
- Practice singing the Find a Nut song.
- One player will hide the nut word cards while the other player waits in a different room.
- The player will return to the room where the nuts are hidden and hunt for the nuts as you sing the Find a Nut song together.
- Once all nuts are found, help your child read the words written on them.
- If the word ends in -ut, have your child say, "The nut can go in the hut!" and put the nut in the hut.
- If the word does not end in -ut, have your child say, "Cut the nut!" and cut the nut with scissors.
- Play the game several times and switch roles.
Nut in a Hut