a fish swims in a dish
Read a text with short vowel words.
- Toy fish or fish crackers or paper fish
- Let a Fish Swim in a Dish target text*
*Item included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children they will get a fish in a dish, swish the fish, let the fish swim in the dish, and read a text that focuses on short vowel words, such as swim, fish, dish, let, bet, and get.
Introduce the targeted short-vowel and sight words
- Display and review the words swim, fish, dish, let, and get with the children.
Swish fish in a dish
- Let the children wish for a fish and a dish.
- Give each child a toy fish or goldfish cracker with a dish.
- Put a little bit of water in the dish (optional).
- Have the children put the fish in the dish.
- Ask the children to swish the fish in the dish and let the fish swim in the dish.
Read target words in a text
- Read the target text Let a Fish Swim in a Dish with the children (found below).
SEEL Target Texts
Let a Fish Swim in a Dish
I wish for a fish.
I wish for a fish in a dish.
I put the fish in my dish.
I will let the fish swim in my dish.
Swim, fish, swim!
Swim and swish in my dish!
I let the fish swish and swim in my dish.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.B: Associate the long and short sounds with the common spellings (graphemes) for the five major vowels.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.D: Isolate and pronounce the initial, medial vowel, and final sounds (phonemes) in three-phoneme (consonant-vowel-consonant, or CVC) words. (This does not include CVCs ending with /l/, /r/, or /x/).
A Fish Swims in a Dish