a for the acrobat
Recognize and name the uppercase letter A and lowercase letter a.
- Letter cards as tickets (see below)
- Acrobat graphics(see below)
- Video of acrobats performing (click here)
- Letter writing practice page (see below) -- 1 per child
State and model the objective
Tell the children that they will turn a letter A into an acrobat as they recognize and name the uppercase A and the lowercase a.
Practice the skill within an activity
Give an A ticket to see acrobats.
- Write the uppercase letter A and the lowercase letter a on a whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children write the A and a in the air with their fingers.
- Explain to the children that acrobat starts with the letter A and an acrobat is someone who does physical acts like tumbling or tightrope walking, etc..
- Scatter the letter cards (see below) around the room.
- Tell the children that in order to get into an acrobat show they will have to find a letter A card to use as their ticket.
- Have the children search the room for letter A tickets.
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as the letter A (or lowercase letter a) then refer the child to the letter A or a on the whiteboard and ask, “Does this letter look like the letter on the board?”
- Let the children place their A tickets on a picture of an acrobat (see below) to get into the show.
- Show the children a video of acrobats performing (optional).
- Have the children admire the acrobats as they watch the show.
- Write the words admire and acrobat on the board and have the children find the letter A in the words (explain that admire means to feel happy as you look at someone or something).
Turn an A into an acrobat.
- Give the children an A letter card.
- Have some of the children pretend that their A letter card is an acrobat by making it do flips and tricks while the rest of the children watch.
- Remind the other children who are watching that they need to act like a good audience and admire the acrobat performing.
- Allow the children to reverse roles.
Apply the skill
Write the letter A
- Give the children the letter writing practice page (see below).
- Let the children trace the As, then have them write As on their own using the lines as a guide.
- Let the children admire their As when they finish writing.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
A for the Acrobat