a for the acrobat
Recognize and name the uppercase letter A and lowercase letter a.
- Letter cards as tickets (see below)
- Acrobat graphics(see below)
- Video of acrobats performing
- Letter writing practice page (see below) -- 1 per child
State and model the objective
Tell the children they will turn a letter A into an acrobat as they recognize and name the uppercase A and the lowercase a.
Practice the skill within an activity
- Give an A ticket to see acrobats.
- Write the uppercase letter A and the lowercase letter a on a whiteboard then have the children identify the letter.
- Explain to the children that acrobat starts with the letter A and an acrobat is someone who does physical acts like tumbling or tightrope walking, etc..
- Scatter the A letter cards around the room along with the distractor letters (see below).
- Tell the children that in order to get into an acrobat show they will have to find a letter A card to use as their ticket.
- Have the children search the room for letter A tickets.
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as the letter A then refer the child to the letter A on the whiteboard and ask, “Does this letter look like the letter on the board?”
- Let the children place the A ticket on a picture of an acrobat (see below) to get into the show.
- Show the children a video of acrobats performing (optional).
- Have the children admire the acrobats as they watch the show.
- Write the words admire and acrobat on the board and have the children find the letter A in the words (explain that admire means to feel happy as you look at someone or something).
- Turn an A into an acrobat.
- Give the children an A letter card.
- Have the children pretend that their A letter card is an acrobat by doing flips and tricks.
- Remind the other children who are watching that they need to act like a good audience and admire the acrobat performing.
Apply the skill
- Write the letter A
- Give the children the letter writing practice page (see below).
- Let the children trace the As, then have them write As on their own using the lines as a guide.
- Let the children admire their As when they finish writing.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
A for the Acrobat