charlie chomps and chews
Recognize and produce the /ch/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /ch/.
- Charlie puppet
- Brass brad or paper fastener
- Picture cards
- Real foods that start with /ch/, such as chocolate chips, cherries, Cheerios, chips (optional)
- Chomp and Chew target text
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will choose foods for Charlie to chew and chomp while they listen for words that begin with the /ch/ sound, such as chocolate, chips, Cheerios, cherries, and cheese.
Charlie likes to chomp and chew
- Introduce Charlie the puppet to the children and explain that Charlie only likes to chew foods that start with the /ch/ sound like chocolate, chips, Cheerios, and cheese.
- Help the children identify all of the picture cards, emphasizing the /ch/ sound as you read words with ch at the beginning.
- Let the children take turns choosing a picture card and deciding together whether it begins with the /ch/ sound and if Charlie would like to chew it or not (support as needed):
- If a card is chosen that starts with /ch/, have the child give it to Charlie to chomp and chew.
- If a card is chosen that does not start with /ch/, have the child set the card in a discard pile.
- As the children take turns feeding Charlie, have them say phrases like, “Chomp and chew the chips, Charlie!”
Chomp and chew foods that begin with /ch/ (optional)
- Let each child choose a real food (or picture card) that starts with /ch/ by saying, “I choose to chomp and chew ___” (e.g., chips, Cheerios, cherries, cheese, etc.).
Read an alliterative text to highlight words that begin with the same first sound
- Display the Chomp and Chew target text large enough for children to easily see.
- Read the text to the children, pointing to each word in left to right sequence.
- Show the children the ch blend and ask them to find other words that begin with the /ch/ sound such as chip, emphasizing the sound as you say the words and the children repeat them.
Practice alliteration with the /ch/ sound
- Make a list of /ch/ words Charlie got to chomp and chew (e.g., chocolate, cheese).
- Tell the children you can think of other words that start with /ch/ (e.g., chin, chair, cheetah).
- Ask each child to think of and share a word that starts with /ch/ (support as needed).
SEEL Target Texts
Chomp and Chew
Chew the cheese.
Chew the cheese.
Chomp, chomp, chomp and chew the cheese.
Chomp and chew with Charlie.
Charlie Chomps and Chews