find a family of fish
Recognize and produce the /f/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /f/.
- Letter cards
- Family of fish graphic
- Picture cards
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will follow and find a family of fish as they listen for words that start with the /f/ sound, such as fast, far, and follow.
Follow the F trail
- Cut out the letter cards and lay them in a trail on the floor, and lay the family of fish graphic at the end of the trail.
- Emphasize the /f/ sound as you explain to the children that they need to find a family of fish by following the letter F trail.
- Have the children follow the trail, saying, “/f/, /f/, find the fish!” as they walk along.
- When the children find the family of fish at the end, have them join in cheering, "We finally found the fish family!"
Identify the target letter
- Mix the picture cards together, then hold them up one at a time for the children to identify and name (supporting as needed).
- Go through the pile again, having the children take turns identifying a picture card and asking the other children, “Does this begin with the /f/ sound?”
- If the picture starts with the /f/ sound, it goes in a pile of things that start with /f/.
- If the picture does not start with the /f/ sound, it goes in a discard pile.
- Have the children go through the /f/ picture pile with you again, emphasizing the /f/ sound at the beginning of the words (e.g., /f/ /f/ frog).
Find a Family of Fish