- Large frame (whiteboard with a frame drawn on it)
- Ff graphic
- Picture cards
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will fill a funny frame as they listen for things that start with the /f/ sound, such as fit, fruit, fairy, and foot.
Filling a funny frame
- Choose a child to tape or glue the Ff page inside the funny frame, explaining that the letter F makes the /f/ sound, and have the children make the /f/ sound with you.
- Go through the stack of picture cards with the children, inviting them to emphasize the /f/ sound and identify each picture by saying, "/f/ /f/ /f/ ___ (e.g., fish)."
- Have the children choose one of the picture cards to stick in the funny frame.
- Say together, “A ___ (e.g., fish) fits in our funny frame.”
- Repeat with the rest of the picture cards or until the funny frame is full.
Recognize and produce the target sound
- Have the children tell you all of the things they put in the funny frame as you write them on a whiteboard or chart paper.
- Use the words from the list to say in the sentence, “We fit a ___ (e.g., frog) in the funny frame.”
- Say the sentence with the children and have them touch a finger to their forehead every time they hear a word that begins with the /f/ sound.