Jewelry, Jacket, and Jeans
- Picture block
- Action block
- Jeans, jacket, and jewelry graphics
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will jump, jiggle, and jog as they listen for words that start with the /j/ sound, such as jeans, jacket, and jewelry.
Jump, jiggle, and jog with /j/
- Tape the jeans, jacket, and jewelry graphics each on a different wall in the room.
- Say, "Jeans, jacket, jewelry" out loud, pointing out that each word starts with the /j/ sound, and invite the children to listen for more words that start with that sound in the activity
- Explain to the children that they will be rolling the picture block to see which wall they will go to (jeans, jacket, or jewelry) and the action block to see which /j/ action they will do to get there.
- Choose a child to roll the picture and action blocks and have the child tell the other children what he or she has rolled (e.g., “Jump to the jeans!”), supporting as needed.
- Have the rest of the children do the action on their way to the matching wall while calling out the action (e.g., “Jump to the jeans!”).
- Repeat the activity as many times as desired, giving other children an opportunity to roll the picture and action blocks.
- After the activity, invite the children to echo back phrases that emphasize the /j/ sound related to what they did, such as “/j/ /j/ /j/ Jump to the /j/ /j/ /j/ jeans!” “/j/ /j/ /j/ Jog to the /j/ /j/ /j/ jacket!”
Identify the target sound
- Have the children line up on the opposite side of the room from you, standing side by side and facing you.
- Call out a variety of words (most of which start with the /j/ sound, and some that do not) one at a time, and allow the children to jump or jog or jiggle forward one step every time they hear a word that starts with the /j/ sound.
- If a child incorrectly identifies a word, review the word again, emphasizing the initial sound (e.g., /b/ b/ boy) and ask the child if it starts with the /j/ sound as in /j/ /j/ /j/ jump, supporting as needed.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce the /j/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /j/.
- Action cards
- Upbeat jazzy music
Activity: The Jeans Jam
- Invite your child to put on some jeans and get your jeans on, too.
- Read each action card to your child and have him or her act each action out.
- Point out that jeans, jump, jiggle, jog, and jazzy all start with the /j/ sound.
- Make up a “Jeans Jam” dance together by letting your child pick two or three action cards from the bowl, reading each card aloud together, and laying them on the floor in front of you as you say, "Do the Jeans Jam and ___ (e.g., jiggle) to the jazzy music!"
- Turn on the jazzy music and do each of the /j/ actions your child chose for a few beats of the music each as you take turns pointing at the cards.
- When you stop the music, have your child choose a different set of /j/ actions and repeat the activity as many times as desired.
- With your child, say and do each of the action words again, emphasizing the /j/ sound at the beginning of each word (e.g., /j/ /j/ jump).
Jewelry, Jacket, and Jeans