Pick a Pet
- Picture cards
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will pick a perfect pretend pet as they listen for words that begin with the /p/ sound, such as pick, puppy, pony, and penguin.
Pick a perfect pet
- Show the children an animal picture and have the children say the name of the animal.
- Ask the children, “Is a ___ (e.g., puppy) a pet that starts with /p/?”
- If the animal begins with /p/, have the child say, “Pick a pet! Pick a pet! Pick a ___!”
- If the animal does not begin with the /p/ sound, have the child put it in a separate pile.
- Go back through the pile of /p/ pets with the children and have them say, “A ___ (e.g., pig) makes a perfect pet!” as you point to each picture.
Identify words that start with the target letter
- Hang the pictures of the animals that were picked as pets on a whiteboard for the children to see.
- Have the children help you create names that start with the /p/ sound for each pet (e.g., Polly the Parrot) and write the name under the corresponding picture.
- After you write the name, read it aloud with the children, emphasizing the /p/ sound (e.g., /p/ /p/ Polly the /p/ /p/ Parrot).
What does your pet do?
- Shuffle all of the /p/ pet pictures and put them in a pile in your hand.
- Let the children take turns picking from the pile, turning the card over and showing it to the other children.
- Have the children do an action that starts with /p/ that the pet they picked would do, such as:
- Prance (skip) like a pony
- Paddle like a penguin (lay on the floor and flap and kick like you’re swimming with hands at sides)
- Pant like a puppy (tongue sticking out, breathing heavily)
- Peck like a parrot
- Pat paws (clap) like a panda
- Go through the cards as many times as desired.
- Variation: Have the children do the action while music is playing then pause until they get another instruction.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce the /p/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /p/.
- Picture cards
- Piece of paper with the uppercase letter P written on it
Activity: Pick a Pet
- Place all of the pet graphics face down on a table.
- Explain to your child that in this game only pets that begin with /p/ make perfect pets.
- Let your child choose a picture one at a time and help your child determine if the pet begins with the /p/ sound.
- If the pet begins with the /p/ sound, say, "You found a perfect pet! Place your pet in a pile on the P.”
- If the pet doesn’t begin with /p/, put the pet in a discard pile.
- Repeat until all the animals have been sorted.
- Review the pets that are in the perfect pet pile by emphasizing the /p/ sound as you say the name of the pet with your child (e.g., /p/, /p/, /p/, penguin).
Pick a Pet