Pink Plate Party
- Pink plastic/paper plates
- /p/ food items or picture cards
- Pink menus listing /p/ foods with pictures
- Pink paper
- Books: If You Give a Pig a Party by Laura Numeroff, or I Am Invited to a Party! (An Elephant and Piggie Book) by Mo Willems (optional)
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will have a Pink Plate Party and listen for words that begin with /p/, such as pink, pretty, party, plate, and pretzel.
Have a Pink Plate Party
- Have the children sit down at a table, then say, “Here are pink plates and menus for the party!” as you give each child a pink plate and a pink menu.
- Take each child’s order, encouraging them to say /p/ word phrases (e.g., “Popcorn please!”).
- Say, “Please pass your pretty pink plate for _____ (e.g., pretzels)!” as you serve the food (real or pictures) ordered by the children.
March and say the sounds in words
- Have the children march and say each sound of the word pop:
- segment sounds: say /p/ (march right), say /o/ (march left), say /p/ (march right)
- blend sounds: jump with both feet and say pop to blend the sounds into the whole word
- Repeat with other words that start with /p/ (e.g., pet, pan, pot, pig).
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce the /p/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /p/.
- Food items that start with /p/ or picture cards
- Paper plates
- A piece of paper (pink if possible)
Activity: Pink Plate Party
- Have your child look through your cabinets or fridge for /p/ foods to have at their Pink Plate Party or use the /p/ picture cards.
- From the foods or picture cards you found, take turns ordering different /p/ foods (e.g., "Popcorn please!") and put this food on paper plates.
- If your child wants more of something, have him or her say, "Pass the ____ (e.g., pickles) please!"
- Have your child make a Pink Plate Party menu by drawing some of his or her favorite foods from the Pink Plate Party on a “menu” (a piece of paper).
- Have your child identify the pictures as you label the /p/ foods on the menu.
Pink Plate Party