Quick Quiet Questions
Recognize and produce the /q/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /q/.
- Question page
- Clipboards and pencils
- Whiteboard with questions written on it
The children will ask and answer questions in quiet voices as they listen for words that begin with the /kw/ sound, such as quilt, queen, quick, quiet, and quarter.
Quickly ask questions with a quiet voice
- Give each child a question page, a clipboard, and a pencil, and review the questions, pointing out the /kw/ sound words (e.g., quilt, queen).
- Show the children how to ask a question quietly and how to record results by circling yes or no on their question page.
- Have one adult lead a group of 4–5 children.
- Each group will move around the school looking for people to question (e.g., office secretary, lunch ladies, librarian, janitor).
- When you find someone to ask questions, have each child quietly ask a question (with support as needed) and record the results on his or her question page.
- Go back to the room and quietly discuss the results of the questions.
Identify words that start with the target letter
- Discuss the results from the questions with the children (e.g., “How many people had a quilt?”).
- Assist the children in identifying which words in the survey questions begin with the /kw/ sound.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce the /kw/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /kw/.
- Quiet Questions Survey
Activity: Quiet Questions
- Ask your child to tell you what a quiet question is (e.g., asking a question in a quiet voice).
- Have your child go around the house and ask everyone who is home a quiet question (if just you and your child are home, take turns asking each other questions).
- After your child asks a question (with support as needed), have him or her circle the answer on the survey.
- After your child asks all of the quiet questions, make a list of questions that were answered "yes" and a list of questions that were answered "no" on the back of the survey.
- Read each list of questions and have your child quack like a duck when he or she hears a word that begins with the /kw/ sound.
Quick Quiet Questions