Run Around the Roses
- Recognize and/or produce the /r/ sound in phrases or a series of words that all begin with /r/.
- Point to words in a text to demonstrate print awareness.
- 2–3 paper or plastic roses (see below)
- Run Around the Roses song (see below)
- Rosie's Roses by Pamela Duncan Edwards (optional)
The children will run around and sing about red roses while listening for words that start with the /r/ sound, such as roll, run, rose, and ride.
Practice the skill within an activity
Run around the roses with R actions
- Read Rosie's Roses by Pamela Duncan Edwards to the children (optional).
- Have the children stand in a circle and put the roses in the middle of the circle.
- Teach the children the Run Around the Roses song (see below).
- After the children have learned the song, have them sing it while running around the roses on the floor.
- As a group, make a list of different actions that start with the /r/ sound on the board (e.g., reach, roll, ride).
- Replace the word run in the Run Around the Roses song with some of the R actions written on the board.
- Sing the new versions of the song while performing the corresponding actions around the roses.
Apply the skill
Identify the target letter
- Sing the Run Around the Roses song again as a group, telling the children to clap whenever they hear a word that begins with the /r/ sound.
Tap out sounds in words
- Have children identify the onset (beginning sound) and rime (the vowel and ending sounds) of words by tapping their head (onset) and their toes (rime) (e.g. red = /r/ tap head, /ed/ tap toes). Point out that all of the words begin with the /r/ sound.
- red = /r/ /ed/
- rat = /r/ /at/
- round = /r/ /ound/
- roll = /r/ /oll/
- Have children blend individual sounds into words by the by tapping their head (beginning), and toes (end) and then clapping to say the whole word (e.g. /b/ tap head, /ag/ tap toes = bag clap hands)
- /r/ /ed/ = red
- /r/ /at/ = rat
- /r/ /ound/ = round
- /r/ /oll/= roll
SEEL Target Texts
Run Around the Roses (to the tune of "Ring Around a Rosy")
Red, red roses,
We all run* round!
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce the /r/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /r/.
- Picture cards
Activity: /r/ Remember
- Lay the cards face down in columns and rows.
- Take turns choosing two cards to turn over in search of a match.
- If a match is not made, turn the cards back over so they are face down.
- When a person gets a match, have him or her say, "I remember r___ and r___ (insert name of picture card)." When all the matches have been found, the person with the most matches wins.
- After all of the matches have been found, point to each match and say together, "We remembered r___, r___, r___, etc."
Run Around the Roses