Red Race Track
- Red masking tape
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will run and roll down a red race track while listening for words that start with the /r/ sound, such as race, red, run, and reach.
Race with /r/ actions down the red race track
- Make two red racing lanes out of red masking tape.
- Divide the children into two teams, or into groups of 4–5 that will take turns racing against each other.
- Point out that the words red and race start with the /r/ sound.
- Have each group line up behind the start of a red race track, and point out that red and race start with the /r/ sound.
- Explain the rules of the relay race to the children:
- The first child will run down to the end of the track and back.
- When the first child returns, he or she will tag the next child who will then run to the end and back, and tag the next child, and so on.
- The race is finished when all the children have returned to the start.
- As their teammates race, have the children repeat, “Run down the red race track!”
- Repeat as desired, changing the relay from running to rolling (somersault or log roll), hopping on their right foot, relaxing (walking in a calm manner), and/or reaching as they run.
Recognize the target sound /r/
- Tell the children that you will say some words, and if the word starts with the /r/ sound, they are to run in place, but if the word does not start with the /r/ sound, they are to rest (stand still).
Produce the target sound /r/
- Help each team to come up with a team name made up of words that begin with the /r/ sound (e.g., Red Racing Roosters, Rapid Rabbits).
Red Race Track