Run Around the Roses
- 2–3 paper or plastic roses
- Run Around the Roses song
- Rosie's Roses by Pamela Duncan Edwards (optional)
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will run around and sing about red roses while listening for words that begin with the /r/ sound, such as ring, roses, and run.
Run around the roses with /r/ actions
- Read the book Rosie's Roses by Pamela Duncan Edwards, emphasizing the /r/ sound (optional).
- Have the children stand in a circle and put the roses in the middle of the circle.
- Teach the children the Run Around the Roses song.
- After the children have learned the song, have them sing it while running around the roses on the floor.
- As a group, make a list of different actions that start with the /r/ sound on the board (e.g., reach, roll, ride).
- Replace the word run in the Run Around the Roses song with a different /r/ action (e.g., reach, roll, ride), then sing the new versions of the song with corresponding actions.
Identify the target sound
- Sing the Run Around the Roses song again as a group and have the children clap whenever they hear a word that begins with the /r/ sound.
Blend sounds into words
- Have the children blend word parts into whole words by tapping their head when they say the /r/ sound, then touching their toes when they say the ending, and finally clapping once when they say the whole word together. For example: /r/ (tap head) + /ed/ (tap toes) = red (clap hands)
- /r/ /ed/ = red
- /r/ /at/ = rat
- /r/ /ound/ = round
- /r/ /oll/ = roll
SEEL Target Texts
Run Around the Roses (to the tune of "Ring Around a Rosy")
Red, red roses,
We all run* round!
SEEL At Home
Your child will repeat phrases that begin with the /r/ sound.
- Picture cards
Activity: /r/ Remember
- Lay the picture cards face down in columns and rows.
- Take turns with your child turning over two cards to try and find a match.
- If a match is not made, turn the cards back over so they are face down again.
- When someone gets a match, have him or her say, "I remember r___ and r___ (insert name of picture card)."
- When all the matches have been found, the person with the most matches wins.
- After all of the matches have been found, point to each match and say together, "We remembered r___, r___, r___, etc."
Run Around the Roses