Recognize and/or produce the /s/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /s/.
- Yellow butcher paper
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will skip and spin around a sun as they listen for words that begin with the /s/ sound, such as spin, space, super, and sat.
Stars on the sun
- Write the letter S on the sun (yellow butcher paper cut into a circle) for the children to see, then draw a small star on the sun and point out that sun and stars begin with the /s/ sound.
- Hand out crayons or markers and have the children draw stars on the sun as they chant, “Stars, stars, stars on the sun, sun, sun!”
- Let the children draw a small picture of a spaceman on the sun as they chant, “Spaceman, spaceman, spaceman on the sun, sun, sun.”
Spin and skip around the sun
- Have the children stand in a circle around the sun and spin in place as everyone says, “Spin, spin, spin around the /s/ /s/ sun!”
- Invite the children to skip around the sun slowly like a spaceman as they chant, “Skip, skip, skip around the /s/ /s/ sun!”
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce the /s/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /s/.
- Sun graphic
Activity: Search in Space
- With your child, draw as many S things on the sun as you can think of (e.g., stars, snowflakes, stripes, squiggles, smiley faces).
- Chant together (e.g., "Stars, stars, stars on the sun, sun, sun!") as you draw each picture.
- Write the letter S on the sun and have your child copy it as you make the /s/ sound together.
- Skip around the sun making the /s/ sound, then try spinning or skating around it.
Sun and Stars