- Big sheet of black butcher paper
- Picture cards
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will search for things found in space as they listen for words that start with the /s/ sound, such as sun, star, super, and space.
Search for /s/ stuff in space
- Cut out the picture cards and show them to the children, pointing out that each picture starts with the /s/ sound.
- Scatter the cards around the room and have the children look for a picture card that starts with the /s/ sound.
- When each child has found one picture card, have them all bring their cards back and take turns identifying the picture card to the class (support where needed).
- Help the children stick the pictures that begin with /s/ onto the black “super space” paper.
Repeat words that start with the target letter
- Point to the /s/ things on the “super space” paper and have the children identify them by saying, “We saw a ___ (e.g., space suit) in super space!”
- Turn the paper over, ask the children to say all the /s/ things that they saw, then repeat each item, emphasizing the target sound (e.g., /s/, /s/, star).
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce the /s/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /s/.
- Picture cards
- A black or dark blue piece of paper
Activity: Super Space
- Identify the picture cards with your child, pointing out that some of the cards start with the /s/ sound and some do not.
- Shuffle and place the cards in a pile then take turns choosing and identifying a card.
- If the item on the card starts with /s/, let your child place it in “super space” (on the piece of paper).
- If the item on the card doesn’t start with /s/ let your child place it in a discard pile.
- Review the cards in “super space” again, emphasizing the /s/ sound (e.g., /s/ /s/ /s/ star).
- Pretend to put on spacesuits, step into your spaceship, and search for more things that start with /s/ around your house.