Shop for Shorts
Recognize and/or produce the /sh/ sound in phrases or a series of words that all begin with /sh/.
- Pretend money (see below) or paper representation of money for each child
- /sh/ picture cards (see below) or objects
- Labels to go in front of each object or picture (optional)
State and model the objective
Tell the children they will shop for objects that start with the /sh/ sound.
Practice the skill within and activity
Shop at the /sh/ store
- Set up a store with the /sh/ picture cards or objects.
- Distribute pretend money or representation of money.
- Let each child shop for the different /sh/ picture cards or objects using his or her money.
- Help each child repeat the phrase, “I am shopping for (a) sh___,” as he or she pays you the money.
Apply the skill
Identify the target letter
- Make a shopping list of all the items you need to shop for that start with the /sh/ sound together.
- Reread the list. Have the children hold up a pretend dollar every time they hear a word that begins with /sh/ sound.
SEEL At Home
Your child will identify and generate words that begin with the /sh/ sound (e.g., shop).
- Pretend money (see below)
- Items that begin with /sh/
- Paper and pencil
Activity: Shop for Shorts
- Have your child look around the house for objects that begin with the /sh/ sound (e.g., shorts, shirt, shoe, shoelace, ship, shell, shampoo, sheet). Then set all of these /sh/ objects up like a store.
- Take turns being the cashier and the shopper. Have the shopper choose a /sh/ item, take it to the cashier saying, "I am shopping for (a) sh___," and hand the cashier the pretend money. Have the cashier say, "Thank you! You should come and shop again!" Repeat until all /sh/ items have been chosen.
- Make a shopping list with your child listing all of the /sh/ objects that you shopped for.
- Read the list together, allowing your child to make the /sh/ sound at the start of each word.
- Send the shopping list to school with your child to share with a teacher and a friend.
Shop for Shorts