Spill and Sprinkle
Recognize and/or produce the /sp/ sound in phrases or a series of words that all begin with /sp/.
- Spots (paper hole-punched circles)
- Plastic drop cloth or large plastic trash bag (cut open and spread out)
- /sp/ action cards (see below)
State and model the objective
Tell the children they are going to spill, sprinkle, and spin spots all over the table while listening for words that start with the /sp/ sound.
Practice the skill within an activity
Spin, spill, sprinkle spots
- Choose a child to pick a /sp/ action card (see below).
- Help the child perform the action with the spots.
- Encourage children to repeat the alliterative phrase as the child performs the action (e.g.; “Sprinkle spots! Sprinkle spots!”).
- Give each child a turn to pick a card and perform the associated action.
Apply the skill
Repeat words with the target letters
- Have the children tell you what actions they performed in the room as you write their answers on the board.
- As a chorus and with support, have the children read what has been written on the board (e.g.; “/sp/, /sp/, Spread the /sp/, /sp/, spots.”).
Tap out sounds in words
- Have children identify the onset (beginning sound) and rime (the vowel and ending sounds) of words by tapping their head (onset) and their toes (rime) (e.g. spot = /sp/ tap head, /ot/ tap toes). Point out that all of the words begin with the /sp/ sound.
- spot = /sp/ /ot/
- spat = /sp/ /at/
- spill = /sp/ /ill/
- spin = /sp/ /in/
SEEL At Home
Children will repeat words that begin with the /sp/ sound (e.g., spot).
- /sp/ action word cards (see below) cut out
- 3-4 /sp/ items (e.g., spoons, spaghetti, spots, Spam)
- Bowl (to draw the action cards out of)
- Paper and pencil
Activity: Spill and Sprinkle
- Take turns drawing an action card out of the bowl and choosing an /sp/ item to do the action with.
- As you do the action with the chosen item, repeat alliterative phrases (e.g.; "Spread the seeds!" or "Spill the Spaghetti!").
- When you have finished playing, have your child tell you all of the actions he or she performed and write the answers on a piece of paper.
- Help your child follow along as you read the sentences written on the piece of paper (e.g.; "/sp/, /sp/, Splatter the /sp/, /sp/, spaghetti.").
Spill and Sprinkle