Splatter and Spray
- Recognize the /sp/ sounds in phrases or a series of words that all begin with /sp/.
- Point to words in a text (see below) to demonstrate print awareness.
- Construction paper
- Plastic drop cloth or large plastic sack cut open to use as a drop cloth
- Small bowls with a little bit of water
- Spray bottles with water
- Tempera paint
- Salt (in salt shakers, bowls, or cups)
- Sp letter cards (see below)
- Sprinkle and Splash to Make Splotches (see target text below)
State and model the objective
Tell the children they will make art by spraying, sprinkling, and splashing paint and water. Tell them to listen for words that begin with /sp/ such as splat, splash, splatter, splotch, sprinkle, spray, spread.
Practice the skill within an activity
Create art using water splotches
- Set out construction paper and little bowls of water on a sheet of plastic.
- Tell the children they will have a splendid time as they splash, splatter, and spray water to make splotches.
- Explain that the words splendid, splash, splatter, spray, and splotches all begin with /sp/.
- Show the children the Sp letter cards and explain that these letters make the /sp/ sound.
- Have the children cut out Sp letter cards and glue them on construction paper.
- Let the children spray, splash, and splat water on the paper to create splotches.
Create art using paint splotches
- Set out construction paper, brushes, paint, and salt on a drop cloth or plastic sack.
- Have the children sprinkle paint onto the paper with a brush then let them splash and splatter paint onto the paper.
- Let the children sprinkle salt onto the paper and spread the salt with a paintbrush.
- Have the children spray water onto the paper to spread the splotches of paint and salt.
Create art using marker splotches
- Set out construction paper, markers, and a spray bottle on a drop cloth or large plastic sack.
- Have the children use markers to make marks on the construction paper.
- Let the children spray the marks to make splotches.
- Let the children splatter, sprinkle and spread water on the splotches of color.
Apply the skill
Read a text to the children to support print awareness
- Display the target text Sprinkle and Splash to Make Splotches large enough for children to easily see.
- Read the text to the children, pointing to each word in left to right sequence.
- Read the text again and have the children point to each word in left to right sequence.
- Allow the children to shadow read by repeating predictable phrases after you read the text to them again.
- Ask the children which words in the text start with /sp/ like splash.
SEEL Target Texts
Sprinkle and Splash to Make Splotches
Sprinkle some paint on the splotches.
Spread the paint in the splotches.
Sprinkle some salt on the splotches.
Make art by sprinkling, splashing, sploshing, and spraying water.
Splish! Splash! Splosh!
What splendid art made from splashes and splotches!
Splatter and Spray