Recognize and produce the /sp/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /sp/.
- Construction paper
- Plastic drop cloth or large plastic sack
- Small bowls with a little bit of water
- Spray bottles with water
- Tempera paint
- Sprinkle and Splash to Make Splotches target text
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will make art by spraying, sprinkling, and splashing paint and water as they listen for words that begin with the /sp/ sound, such as splat, splash, splatter, and spread.
Splash, splatter. and sprinkle to make splotches
- Set out construction paper and little bowls of water on a sheet of plastic.
- Explain that the words splash, splatter, sprinkle, and splotches all begin with /sp/.
- Let the children spray, splash, and splatter water on the paper to create splotches.
Spread and spray salt and paint to make splotches
- Set out construction paper, brushes, paint, and salt on a plastic drop cloth or large plastic sack.
- Have the children sprinkle paint onto the paper with a brush. Let the children sprinkle salt onto the paper and spread the salt with a paintbrush.
- Have the children spray water onto the paper to spread the splotches of paint and salt.
Read an alliterative text to the children
- Display the target text Sprinkle and Splash to Make Splotches large enough for children to easily see.
- Read the text to the children, pointing to each word as you read.
- Have the children repeat the predictable phrases as you read the text to them again.
- Say the words in the text that start with /sp/ and have the children repeat them.
SEEL Target Texts
Sprinkle and Splash to Make Splotches
Spread, spread, spread.
Sprinkle some salt.
Sprinkle, sprinkle, sprinkle.
Spray some water.
Spray, spray, spray.
Spread, sprinkle, and spray to make splotches.
Splatter and Spray