spools spin on spots
Recognize the /sp/ blend in words (e.g., spout, spill, spin, and spool) and phrases (spill spools on spots and spaces).
- A large spoon
- Spouts (top cut off water bottles)
- Spray bottle and a bowl with a small amount of water
- Spin Spools target text*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will hear /sp/ in spin, spools, and spouts as they will spin, spill, and spoon spools and spouts.
Spin spools on spots
- Spread out the spots (see below) and comment on spots and spaces (e.g., “Spots, spots, spots,” “Spots and spaces, spots and spaces”).
- Let the children spill and spin spools and spouts on spots or in spaces as you make comments like the following:
- Spill spouts and spools. Spill, spill, spill spouts.
- Spin, spin, spin a spool, spin a spool on spots and in spaces.
- Spin, spin, spin a spout, spin a spout on spots and in spaces.
Put spouts and spools in a spoon
- Let the children spoon up spools and spouts.
- Have the children spoon and spill the spouts from the spoon.
- Let the children spoon spouts or spools onto spots.
- Let the children spill spots from a spoon.
- Comment on the spilling and spooning of spouts and spoons:
- Spill spools on spots (or spaces).
- Spill spouts on spots.
- Spoon spouts and spools in spaces.
- Spoon spoils and spouts on spots.
- Spill and sprinkle spools (or spouts or spoons) on a space.
- Spools and spouts go splat!
- Spin spools and spouts on spots and in spaces.
Splash spools and spouts
- Drop spools in water so the spools make a splat, splash, and splatter.
- Spray, splash, and splatter spools or spouts with water.
- Comment on spinning, spilling, and splashing spools and spouts in water:
- Spin spools and splash.
- Spin spouts and splish splash.
- Use a spoon to splash spools and spouts.
- Splash spoons, spouts, and spools.
- Spin spools on spots.
- Spin spools on spaces.
- Spin spools and spouts on spots and spaces.
- Sponge up the splashes.
- Sponge up the spills.
SEEL Target Texts
Did the spool stop on a spot?
Did the spool stop in a space?
Did the spools spill in a space?
Did the spools spill on a spot?
Did you spoon spools on a spot?
Did you spoon spools in a space?
Did the spout stop on a spot?
Did the spout stop in a space?
Did the spouts stop on a spot?
Did a spout stop in a space?
And spill, spoon, and spin spouts.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.
2. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.3.A: Demonstrate basic knowledge of one-to-one letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary sound or many of the most frequent sounds for each consonant.
Spools Spin on Spots