Recognize and produce the /th/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /th/.
- Picture cards or items beginning with the /th/ sound (e.g., thumb, throne, three, thorn, thread, thimble, thumbnail)
- Spinner with three or four numerals on it, including the numeral three.
- Thump It target text
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will play with the /th/ sound and thump things with their thumbs.
Spin number three to thump things with your thumb
- Have the children sit in a circle.
- Place the spinner and the /th/ picture cards face down (or the objects that begin with the /th/ sound) in the middle of the group.
- Explain that each child will take turns spinning the spinner. Each time the spinner lands on three, the child can draw from the pile because it begins with /th/.
- Have the child say the name of the /th/ picture on the card and thump it with a thumb three times while repeating the following chant:
- Thump, thump, thump on ___.
- Repeat until everyone has been able to participate.
Identify and repeat words with the target letter
- Have the children help you make a list of the /th/ words they heard while playing the game.
- Have them shadow-read the things they got to thump with their thumb.
- Emphasize that all of the words begin with the same letters, the letter T and the letter H standing side-by-side, and that those letters together make the sound /th/.
- Read the Thump It target text aloud to the children, then invite them to join you in chanting it a few times.
- Highlight the th words in the target text, reading the words that begin with the /th/ sound aloud, emphasizing the /th/, then chant it again while pointing to the letters th.
- Ask the children to tell you something that begins with the /th/ sound as they transition away from this activity.
SEEL Target Texts
Thump, thump, thump it on a three.
Thump, thump, thump it on a thumbnail.
Thump, thump, thump it on a knee.
A knee? How can that be?
Thump and knee don’t begin the same!
What a shame.
That's the end of this game.
Thump Things with your Thumb