Recognize and/or produce the /v/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /v/.
- Suitcase or duffle bag
- Real objects that start with /v/ or picture cards (see below) (e.g., vacuum, violin, volleyball, vegetables, vest, vase, van)
State and model the objective
Tell the children they will pack things beginning with the letter V for their special V vacation, as they listen for words that begin with the /v/ sound.
Practice the skill within an activity
Pack V things for the V vacation
- Display all of the /v/ picture cards or objects so children can see them.
- Give children the following clues one at a time and have them choose which /v/ item to put in the suitcase/duffle bag.
- When children put the /v/ item in the suitcase/duffle bag, have them say, “V___ for the /v/ vacation!”
|Clue:||Correct Item/Picture Card:|
|I need a machine that says, "Vroom!" It is loud and cleans the carpet.||Vacuum|
|I need something that makes music and that you hold like this (pretend to hold a violin).||Violin|
|I need a type of ball that you hit over a net.||Volleyball|
|I need healthy food.||Vegetables|
|I need something to wear that does not have sleeves and that has buttons.||Vest|
|I need something to hold flowers in.||Vase|
|I need a big car.||Van|
Apply the skill
Repeat words with the target letter
- Say, “Oh boy! I just found out that you get to come with me on my /v/ vacation! We need to make a packing list for you so you know what to bring!”
- Have children list the things they will need to bring for the /v/ vacation (e.g.; vest for the /v/ vacation).
- Write the list of /v/ things on chart paper or on the whiteboard.
Clap out sounds in words
- Have the children take apart the word van and clap once for each sound in the word (/v/ /a/ /n/).
- Ask the children how many times they clapped for the word van (3).
- Clap for each sound in the word van again to reinforce the model.
- Repeat with other words that start with /v/ (e.g., vet, vase, veer).
- Point out that all of the words start with the /v/ sound.
SEEL At Home
Repeat phrases beginning with the /v/ sound (e.g.; vase for the /v/ vacation).
- Household items that begin with /v/
Activity: /v/ Vacation
- Tell your child that you get to go on a very special vacation. For this vacation, he or she can only bring things that start with the /v/ sound.
- Walk through the house with your child and find things that start with the /v/ sound that you could take on vacation (e.g., vase, video game, valentine, van, violin, vacuum, vitamins, Velcro, vinegar). When you find /v/ things, say, "V___ for the /v/ vacation!"
- After you have found several /v/ things, ask your child which /v/ thing is his or her favorite.