Vest with Vs
Recognize and/or produce the /v/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /v/.
- Vest (a real one or one made from a paper grocery bag) or vest graphic (see below)
- Velcro (several pieces attached to the vest)
- V picture cards (see below) with Velcro attached to the back of them
State and model the objective
Tell the children they will be putting things that start with the letter V on a very cool vest as they listen for words beginning with the /v/ sound.
Practice the skill within an activity
Put very cool V things on the V vest
- Invite a child to put on the V vest.
- Invite other children, one at a time, to pick up a picture card, identify it, and put in on the V vest.
- When all the pictures are on the vest, take them off and repeat with a different child wearing the V vest.
Apply the skill
Repeat words with the target letter
- Go through the picture cards one by one, having the children repeat, “We put a ___ (van) on our V vest!”
- Give each child a blank picture of a vest, and have him or her color pictures of V things on his or her vest.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and/or produce the /v/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /v/, such as vest, Velcro, van, volcano, vegetables, and vase.
- Vest graphic and V picture cards (see below)
- V items
Activity: V Vest
- One by one, help your child identify the V picture cards (see below).
- Have your child place the picture cards on the V vest graphic (see below) while saying, "___ can go on my V vest!"
- Walk through the house with your child, looking for more V things to put on his or her V vest.
- After you have gathered more /v/ items, have your child draw pictures of them on the back of the V vest graphic or a separate piece of paper.
- Send your child's picture of his or her V vest to school to share with a teacher or friend.
Vest with Vs