Vest with Vs
- Vest or vest graphic
- Velcro (several pieces attached to the vest)
- Picture cards with Velcro on back
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will Velcro things on a very cool vest as they listen for words that start with the /v/ sound, such as violin, van, valentine, and vase.
Put /v/ things on a very cool vest
- Show the children the picture cards, help them identify the cards, and explain that each picture starts with the /v/ sound.
- Invite a child to put on the very cool vest.
- Invite other children, one at a time, to pick up a picture card, identify it, and attach it to the very cool vest with Velcro.
- When all the pictures are on the vest, take them off and repeat with a different child wearing the very cool vest.
Repeat words with the target letter
- Go through the picture cards one by one, having the children repeat, “We put a ___ (e.g., van) on our very cool vest!”
- Give each child a blank picture of a vest, and have him or her color pictures of /v/ things on his or her very cool vest.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce the /v/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /v/.
- Vest graphic
- Picture cards
- Items that start with /v/
Activity: A Very Cool Vest
- Help your child identify the picture cards and point out to him or her that they all start with the /v/ sound.
- Have your child place the picture cards on the vest graphic while saying, "A ___ (e.g., vase) can go on my very cool vest!"
- Walk through the house with your child, looking for more things that start with /v/ to put on his or her vest.
- After you have gathered more /v/ items, have your child draw pictures of them on the back of the vest graphic or a separate piece of paper.
- Review all the things you found together that start with the /v/ sound, and identify them with your child, emphasizing the /v/ sound.
Vest with Vs