Wave, Wiggle and Waggle
Recognize and/or produce the /w/ sound in a series of words that all begin with /w/. Point to words in a text (see below) to demonstrate print awareness.
- Instrumental music to dance to (optional)
- The Wiggle Dance chant (see below) – 1 enlarged copy
- Large letter W (see below) cut out – 1 for each child
- Book: Wiggle! by Doreen Cronin (optional)
State and model the objective
Tell the children they are going to wiggle, waggle, and wave to music while listening for the /w/ sound in words such as, wave, wiggle, waggle, wade, and walk.
Practice the skill within an activity
Learn, repeat, and waggle to the Wiggle Dance
- Read the book Wiggle by Doreen Cronin aloud to the children, inviting them to wiggle as indicated in the book.
- Have the children stand in a circle.
- Display an enlarged copy of The Wiggle Dance chant (see below) so that the children can see it, and teach the children the words and corresponding actions.
- Turn on instrumental music (optional).
- Repeat The Wiggle Dance words and perform the actions together.
- Repeat the chant multiple times.
- Ask the children what words they heard that begin with the /w/ sound.
Apply the skill
Identify words with the target letter
- With the children, think of other actions that begin with the /w/ sound (e.g., walk, wash, watch, weed, work). Think of actions that you could do to go with the /w/ action words.
- Repeat The Wiggle Dance chant several times, inserting different /w/ action words and actions.
SEEL Target Texts
The Wiggle Dance
SEEL At Home
Repeat phrases that begin with the /w/ sound (e.g.; Won't you wiggle with me?).
- The Wiggle Dance chant (see below)
- Instrumental music (optional)
Activity: Wiggle and Waggle
- Have your child teach you The Wiggle Dance chant. If necessary, refer to the words and actions for The Wiggle Dance chant provided below.
- When you are comfortable with the words, add the actions and do The Wiggle Dance together to some instrumental music (optional).
- After you and your child have done the chant and actions, think of more action words that start with the /w/ sound (e.g., walk, wash, watch, weed, work). Think of an action to go with each /w/ action word.
- Insert the new /w/ action word into the chant and repeat the chant with the new word and the new action.
- Repeat with each of the new /w/ action words. Emphasize the /w/ words as you go along.
Wave, Wiggle and Waggle