a for the acrobat
Recognize and name the letter A.
- Letter cards as tickets
- Acrobat graphics
- Video of acrobats performing (link in lesson)
- Letter writing practice page
Tell the children that they will turn a letter A into an acrobat as they recognize and name the letter A.
Give an A ticket to see acrobats.
- Write the letter A on a whiteboard, name the letter, and have the children write the A in the air with their fingers.
- Explain to the children that acrobat starts with the letter A and an acrobat is someone who does physical acts like tumbling or tightrope walking, etc.
- Scatter the letter cards around the room.
- Tell the children that in order to get into an acrobat show they will have to find a letter A card to use as their ticket.
- Have the children search the room for letter A tickets.
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as the letter A, then refer the child to the letter A on the whiteboard and ask, “Does your letter look like the letter on the board?”
- Let the children place their A tickets on a picture of an acrobat to get into the show.
- Tell the children that you hope they admire the acrobats and explain that when you admire someone or something, you think they are great and cheer for them.
- Show the children a video of acrobats performing and have the children admire (cheer for) the acrobats as they watch the show.
- Write the words admire and acrobat on the board and have the children find the letter A in the words.
Turn an A into an acrobat.
- Give the children an A letter card.
- Ask a few of the children to pretend that their A letter card is an acrobat by making it do flips and tricks while the rest of the children watch.
- Remind the other children who are watching that they need to act like a good audience and admire (cheer for) the acrobat that is performing.
- Allow the children to reverse roles as many times as desired.
Write the letter A
- Give the children the letter-writing practice page.
- Let the children trace the As, then have them write As on their own using the lines as a guide.
- Let the children admire each other's A practice page when they finish writing.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all letters in the alphabet.
A for the Acrobat