- Achoo Andy puppet graphics
- Brown paper lunch bag
- Letter cards
- Small slips of paper
- Letter-finding page
- Letter-writing practice page
Tell the children that they will play games with Achoo Andy as they recognize and name the letter A.
Watch Achoo Andy sneeze at the letter A
- Write the letter A on a whiteboard, name the letter, and have the children write the A in the air with their fingers.
- Introduce the Achoo Andy puppet by writing his name on the board and pointing out the letter A in his name.
- Tell the children that Andy’s friends call him Achoo Andy because he sneezes, “Achoo!” every time he sees the letter A.
- Place the letter A letter cards and distractor letter cards around the room.
- Let the children take turns holding the Achoo Andy puppet and making him sneeze every time he sees a letter A.
- When a child finds an A letter card, have him or her say “Achoo! I found an A!”
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as the letter A, refer the child to the letter A on the whiteboard and ask, “Does your letter look like the letter on the board?”
Stack and play with A
- Have the children write the letter A on small slips of paper and stack them in front of you.
- Let a child hold Achoo Andy and pretend to sneeze, “Achoo!” as he or she blows the letters around.
- Have the children stack the letters again.
- Let the children take turns holding Achoo Andy and sneezing at the stacks of letters.
Find the target letters
- Display the page of mixed-up letters and have the children find and circle each A.
- Have the children pretend to be Achoo Andy and say, “Achoo! I found an A!”
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as the letter A, refer the child to the letter A on the whiteboard and ask, “Does this letter look like the letter on the board?”
Write the letter A
- Give each child a letter-writing practice page.
- Let the children trace the letter A on the practice page, then have them write the letters on their own using the lines as a guide.
- Let the children pretend to be Achoo Andy and sneeze at their As when they finish writing (optional).
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.