Recognize and name the letter A.
- Achoo Andy puppet graphics
- Brown paper lunch bag
- Letter cards
- Small slips of paper
- Letter-finding page
- Letter-writing practice page
Tell the children that they will play games with Achoo Andy as they recognize and name the letter A.
Watch Achoo Andy sneeze at the letter A
- Write the letter A on a whiteboard, name the letter, and have the children write the A in the air with their fingers.
- Introduce the Achoo Andy puppet by writing his name on the board and pointing out the letter A in his name.
- Tell the children that Andy’s friends call him Achoo Andy because he sneezes, “Achoo!” every time he sees the letter A.
- Place the letter A letter cards and distractor letter cards around the room.
- Let the children take turns holding the Achoo Andy puppet and making him sneeze every time he sees a letter A.
- When a child finds an A letter card, have him or her say “Achoo! I found an A!”
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as the letter A, refer the child to the letter A on the whiteboard and ask, “Does your letter look like the letter on the board?”
Stack and play with A
- Have the children write the letter A on small slips of paper and stack them in front of you.
- Let a child hold Achoo Andy and pretend to sneeze, “Achoo!” as he or she blows the letters around.
- Have the children stack the letters again.
- Let the children take turns holding Achoo Andy and sneezing at the stacks of letters.
Find the target letters
- Display the page of mixed-up letters and have the children find and circle each A.
- Have the children pretend to be Achoo Andy and say, “Achoo! I found an A!”
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as the letter A, refer the child to the letter A on the whiteboard and ask, “Does this letter look like the letter on the board?”
Write the letter A
- Give each child a letter-writing practice page.
- Let the children trace the letter A on the practice page, then have them write the letters on their own using the lines as a guide.
- Let the children pretend to be Achoo Andy and sneeze at their As when they finish writing (optional).
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all the letters in the alphabet.