- Strips of blue and/or brown paper made into bracelets
- Buttons and bows graphics
- Black, blue, and brown markers/crayons
- Stamps or small stickers with the letter B (optional)
- Letter cards
The children will make beautiful bracelets with the letter B as they recognize and name the letter B.
- Write the letter B on a whiteboard, name the letter, and have the children write the B in the air with their fingers.
- Have the children choose a paper band for building a beautiful bracelet, pointing out that band and bracelet both begin with the letter B.
- Demonstrate for the children how to write the letter B on the bracelets, bows, and buttons using black, blue, or brown markers or crayons.
- Draw attention to the letter B at the beginning of the color names on the markers, crayons, etc.
- Help the children tape or glue bows and buttons on their bracelets to make them beautiful.
- Let the children decorate their bracelets with B stamps or stickers (optional).
Find the letter B
- Cut out the letter cards and mix them up on the table.
- Let the children choose a letter card.
- Help the children decide whether or not the letter is a B, providing support as needed.
- If a child chooses a letter other than the letter B, help him or her compare his or her letter to the letter written on the board.
- Let the children tape or glue a B letter card to their bracelet.
Bounce with the letter B
- Put all of the letter cards face down on a table and have the children stand up.
- Turn over one letter card out at a time and show it to the group.
- If the letter is a B, have the children bounce in place.
- If the letter is not a B, have the children stand still.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the letter B.
- Magazines or newspaper ads with pictures of things that start with B
- Glue or tape
- Strip(s) of blue and/or brown paper for bracelets
Activity: Build a B Bracelet
- With your child, find and circle small pictures of things that start with B in the magazines or ads.
- Help your child cut out the pictures and lay them on the table face down.
- Take turns with your child putting glue or tape on the back of a picture, turning it over, and saying, "____ (e.g., Banana) starts with B."
- Attach the object onto a bracelet.
- Repeat until your child has placed all the pictures of things that start with B on the bracelet.
- To extend the activity, make a bracelet for someone whose name starts with B.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.