Recognize and name the uppercase letter C and the lowercase letter c.
- Caterpillar graphic
- Letter C graphics
- Letter tracing page
- Cookies and napkins
- Book: The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (optional)
The children will create caterpillars using the letter C as they recognize and name the uppercase C and the lowercase c.
Create a caterpillar
- Write the uppercase letter C and lowercase letter c on a whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children write the letter C in the air with their fingers.
- Read the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (optional).
- Make a caterpillar by having the children trace the letter C on the body of the caterpillar graphic using different colored markers or crayons.
- Let the children explore putting letter C cut-out graphics together to make their own caterpillar.
Write the target letter
- Distribute the letter tracing page and have the children trace the letter C using different colored markers or crayons.
- Have the children write the letter C on a piece of paper using a pencil or different colored crayons.
- Read the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle, and let the children pretend to be the caterpillar from the story by nibbling a bite of cookie each time they write the letter C (optional).
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.