Recognize and name the uppercase letter C and the lowercase letter c.
- Cookie letter cards
- Mixing bowl, mixing spoon, measuring cups
- Paper towels
- Caramel Cookie Recipe
- Chocolate cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 package of Rolo chocolate candies, unwrapped
- Previously prepared caramel cookies (if an oven is inaccessible)
- C cookies graphics
The children will find the letter C on cookies as they recognize and name the uppercase letter C and lowercase letter c.
Find C cookies
- Place cookie letter cards around the room.
- Write the uppercase letter C and lowercase letter c on a whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children write the C and c in the air with their fingers.
- Invite the children to find all of the cookie cards around the room.
- Help the children name and identify the letter on each card.
- If the letter on the card is a C, pretend to eat the cookie.
- If the letter is not a C, place the cookie in a discard pile.
- When all the cookie cards have been found and identified, have the children help you count how many C cookies they found.
Cook Caramel Cookies
- Show the children how to make caramel cookies according to the recipe.
- Note: If you do not have access to an oven, set the unbaked cookies aside and serve previously prepared caramel cookies.
Identify the target letter
- Mix up the cookie letter cards, have the children take turns choosing a card, and help them identify each letter chosen.
- If the letter is a C, have the children place the letter on one of the boxes surrounding the C cookie graphic.
- If the letter is not a C, put it in a discard pile.
- Once all of the C letter cards have been placed around the cookies, point out that the letters are placed in a circle, the same shape as a cookie.
Write the target letter
- Have the children write the letter C around the C cookie graphic (support as needed).
SEEL Target Texts
Caramel Cookie Recipe
1/2 cup oil
1 package of Rolo chocolate candies, unwrapped
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the uppercase letter C and lowercase letter c.
- Cookie picture cards
- Caramel cookies recipe
- Ingredients for caramel cookies (optional—see recipe)
Activity: Caramel Cookies
- Before the activity, cut apart and place the cookie picture cards around the room.
- Invite your child to find all of the cookie cards.
- Help your child name and identify the letter on each cookie.
- If the letter on the cookie is a C or a c, pretend to eat the cookie.
- If the letter is not a C or a c, put the cookie in a discard pile.
- Have your child write the letter C on the back of each cookie (support as needed).
Optional Activity: Cooking caramel cookies
- With your child, follow the recipe for cooking caramel cookies.
- Have your child practice writing the letter C several times on a page to earn a cookie (optional).
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.