Cody Likes Candy
Recognize and name the uppercase letter C and the lowercase letter c.
- Letter cards
- Cans or cups
- Picture cards
- Puppet graphics or picture of a boy
- Paper lunch bag
- C color page
- Explore for C letter page
The children will feed a puppet named Cody snacks that start with the letter C as they recognize and name the uppercase letter C and the lowercase letter c.
- Write the uppercase letter C and lowercase letter c on a whiteboard. Name the letters, and have the children write the C and c in the air with their fingers.
- Place uppercase C letter cards and lowercase c letter cards around the room along with other letters.
- Using cans or cups, have the children search the room for the C letter cards.
- When the children find a C card have them say, “I found a C! I’ll put the C in a can or cup.”
- Have the children put all of the C cards in a can or cup.
Feed Cody C foods
- Before the activity, cut out and assemble the Cody puppet or use a picture of a boy.
- Put the picture cards that start with C in a can or cup.
- Show the children the Cody puppet and tell them that Cody only eats foods that start with C.
- Let the children remove a picture card from the can. Check to make sure it starts with C and let them circle the letter C in the word.
- Have the children feed the C foods to Cody saying, “Cody can crunch on _____.”
Create Colorful Cs
- Give the children the C color page and crayons. Let them choose from one or more of the following options:
- Draw cakes and cookies on your C.
- Create a crazy, colorful C by tracing the C with different colors.
- Write both the uppercase C and the lowercase c in different colors around the edge of the big C.
Find the target letter mixed in with other letters
- Display the Explore for C letter page of mixed up letters and have the children find and circle all the uppercase Cs and lowercase c's.
- Have the children say, “I found a C!” every time they circle an uppercase or lowercase letter C.
- If a child misidentifies another letter as the letter C then refer the child to the letter C and c on the whiteboard and ask, “Does this letter look like the letter on the board?”
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
Cody Likes Candy