Recognize and name the uppercase letter D and lowercase letter d.
- Styrofoam dishes
- Spray water bottle
- Small dish of dirt
- Dish towel(s)
- Colored markers (washable)
- Sticky notes
State and model the objective
Tell the children that they will wash and dry a special dish as they recognize and name the uppercase letter D and the lowercase letter d.
Practice the skill within an activity
- Write the uppercase letter D and lowercase letter d on a whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children write the D and d in the air with their fingers.
- Show the children a dish with an uppercase letter D or a lowercase letter d written on it and help the children identify the letter.
- Demonstrate and then invite the children to help make the dish dirty by writing the letter D and the letter d all over it in multiple colors using washable markers.
- Invite the children to spray water (droplets) on the dish to make it damp. Tip the dish and observe the letters D and d as the drops drip down the dish.
- Dry the dish and watch the colorful letters disappear.
- Invite all of the children to make the dish damp again then take turns sprinkling a little dirt on the dish to make it double dirty!
- Spray water (droplets) to clean it. Then dry the dish with a towel.
- Encourage the children to repeat the activity as many times as desired.
Apply the skill
Write the target letter
- Hold up a dish with an uppercase letter D and a lowercase letter d written on it, and ask the children to name the letter on the dish.
- Ask the children to write an uppercase letter D and a lowercase letter d on the sticky note to stick to a dish you will display in the classroom as a reminder of the day you all made dirty dishes.
- Have the children write a letter D on other sticky notes that they can stick on their shirts, jackets, and backpacks to remind them to share about Dirty Dish Day at school.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the capital letter D and the lowercase letter d.
- Styrofoam dish
- Washable colored markers
- Spray water bottle
- Dish towel
Activity: Dirty Dishes
- Before the activity, write the letters D and d on the styrofoam dish with permanent markers.
- Show your child the letters on the plate and ask him or her to identify them.
- Invite your child to help make the dish dirty by writing the letters D and the letter d all over it with the washable markers.
- When the dish is very dirty after writing all over it, spray water (droplets) to clean it.
- Dry the dish with a towel and check to be sure the letters have disappeared.
- The activity can be repeated as desired.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.