Recognize and name the letter E.
- E color page—one for each child
- E page to fold
- Letter cards
- E letter-finding page
- E letter writing practice page
The children will color Es to make them elegant as they recognize and name the letter E.
- Write the letter E on a whiteboard, name the letter, and have the children write the E in the air with their fingers.
- Give the children an E color page and markers or crayons and invite them to decorate the E to make it elegant.
- Make comments such as the following throughout the activity to emphasize words that start with the letter E:
- Enjoy making elegant Es!
- Here is an example of an elegant E.
- You are excellent E makers!
- Every E is excellent!
- I am excited for elegant Es.
- Have the children fill any empty spaces on the page with E letters.
- Fold the E page, then have the children help expand the E by unfolding it.
- Repeat the activity, but this time place E letter cards into the folds.
- Have the children gather up the E letter cards as they fall out and exclaim, “An E and an E! Everywhere an E!”
Find the target letter
- Display the E letter-finding page and have the children find and circle the E letters.
- Have the children say, “I found an E!”
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as the letter E, have the child compare the letter to the E on the whiteboard.
- Once the children have found all of the Es, have them make the Es elegant by coloring them.
- Give the children the letter-writing practice page (see below).
- Let the children trace the Es and then write the Es on their own using the lines as a guide.
- Let the children color their Es to make them elegant when they finish writing (optional).
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.