- E color page—one for each child
- E page to fold
- Letter cards
- E letter-finding page
- E letter writing practice page
The children will color Es to make them elegant as they recognize and name the letter E.
- Write the letter E on a whiteboard, name the letter, and have the children write the E in the air with their fingers.
- Give the children an E color page and markers or crayons and invite them to decorate the E to make it elegant.
- Make comments such as the following throughout the activity to emphasize words that start with the letter E:
- Enjoy making elegant Es!
- Here is an example of an elegant E.
- You are excellent E makers!
- Every E is excellent!
- I am excited for elegant Es.
- Have the children fill any empty spaces on the page with E letters.
- Fold the E page, then have the children help expand the E by unfolding it.
- Repeat the activity, but this time place E letter cards into the folds.
- Have the children gather up the E letter cards as they fall out and exclaim, “An E and an E! Everywhere an E!”
Find the target letter
- Display the E letter-finding page and have the children find and circle the E letters.
- Have the children say, “I found an E!”
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as the letter E, have the child compare the letter to the E on the whiteboard.
- Once the children have found all of the Es, have them make the Es elegant by coloring them.
- Give the children the letter-writing practice page (see below).
- Let the children trace the Es and then write the Es on their own using the lines as a guide.
- Let the children color their Es to make them elegant when they finish writing (optional).
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.