Exercise with E
- Letter E on paper circles
- Letter cards
- Exercise Ed graphic
- Red and blue crayons
The children will exercise and look for the letter E as they recognize and name the letter E.
Exercise with the letter E
- Make a barbell using a paper towel tube (or wrapping paper tube/rolled paper). Tape the paper circles with the letter E on each end of the tube as weights. Place the letter cards in an envelope on the other side of the room.
- Write the letter E on a whiteboard, name the letter, and have the children write the E in the air with their fingers.
- Point out that the words exercise and envelope both start with the letter E.
- Invite the children to exercise by hopping, jumping, or skipping across the room to get a letter card out of the envelope.
- If the letter is an E, have the child tape the letter to the barbell.
- If the letter is not an E, have the child place the card in the discard pile.
- Let the children lift the barbell up and down while saying, “Exercise with E!”
- Write the letter E on the whiteboard again, then have the children exercise their arms by writing the letter E in the air with their finger.
Play ABC hide and seek
- Provide letter cards.
- Have the children count the cards to determine how many letters they will need to find.
- Choose two children to hide the cards in a designated area.
- Set a timer and send a small group to find the letters.
- Let the children exercise by hopping, jumping, or skipping across the room as they search for the letters.
- As a group, have the children identify the letters they have found.
- Play another round of the game if time permits.
Write the target letter
- Distribute the picture of Exercise Ed and direct the children to circle every letter E with red.
- Have the children exercise their hands by writing the letter E around the picture of Ed.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the letter E.
- 2 paper circles about 4" in diameter
- Letter cards, placed in an envelope
- Paper towel tube (or rolled up paper)
Activity: Exercise with E
- Write the letter E on a paper circle and attach it to one end of a paper towel roll (or rolled up paper), and write another E on another circle and attach it to the other end to form a barbell.
- Place the letter cards in an envelope at the other end of the room.
- Have your child do an exercise (e.g., hop, jump, skip) on the way to the envelope and choose a letter card.
- Decide together whether or not the letter card is an E.
- If the letter is an E, attach the card to one end of the barbell.
- If the letter is not an E, have your child place it in the discard pile.
- Take turns lifting the barbell and saying, "Exercise with E!"
- Together, exercise your arms by writing the letter E in the air with your finger and on paper.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.
Exercise with E